How do I apply for SASSA grant for my child?

  1. Go to the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office nearest to where you live and bring the following:
    • your 13 digit-bar-coded identity document (ID) and the child’s birth certificate. If you don’t have an ID or the child’s birth certificate:
      • you must complete an affidavit in a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official.
      • Bring the following documents:
        • a sworn statement by a reputable person (e.g. councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion) who knows the applicant and child 
        • proof that you have applied for an ID and/or birth certificate at the Department of Home Affairs
        • a temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs (if applicable)
        • baptismal certificate if available
        • road to health clinic card if available
        • school report if available.
    • Proof of any maintenance you receive for the child.
    • Proof of your earnings.
    • Your marriage certificate (if applicable).
    • If you are divorced, the court order saying that you have custody of the child.
    • If one or both parents are dead or missing, the death certificate of the deceased or proof that the parent is missing, e.g. a missing person’s report from the police.
  2. Complete the application form in the presence of the SASSA official (note that only you as the applicant or a SASSA official may complete the application form).
  3. You will be given a receipt. Keep it as proof that you applied.

If you wish to apply online see :

Who can apply for the SASSA child support grant?

To qualify for a grant, you must be the primary caregiver of a child, mother, grandmother father, etc

  • If you are a single care giver, you should not make more than R52 800 per year (R4 400 per month). If you are married, your total annual income should not exceed R105 600. (R8 800 a month).
  • You must be a South African citizen or have permanent residency in South Africa.
  • You must produce proof that you are the child’s primary caregiver. You can submit an affidavit from a police officer or the biological parent, a social worker report, or a letter from the child’s school principal.

How much will you get?  

You will get R480 a month per child.

How much does it cost?

The service is free.

Forms to complete

Application forms are not available online, but you can get them from your nearest (SASSA) office. 

if you wish to apply online see :

Who to contact

South African Social Security Agency (SASSA)

SASSA Toll free: 0800 60 10 11

1 thought on “How do I apply for SASSA grant for my child?”

  1. Pingback: Can I apply for SASSA child support grant online? - Navigating South Africa

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *