Here are the fees for applying for an ID and passport in South Africa:
- First-time application: R140
- Replacement: R280
- Adult passport: R600
- Child passport: R600
- Maxi tourist passport (48 pages): R1200
- Emergency travel certificate: R140
The fees may vary depending on where you apply for your ID or passport. For example, if you apply for a passport at a South African mission or consulate outside of the Republic, the fees will be higher.
You can pay the fees for your ID or passport in cash, by credit card, or by debit card.
Here are some additional information about the fees for applying for an ID and passport in South Africa:
- The fees are subject to change.
- You may be required to pay additional fees for services such as express processing or expedited delivery.
- The fees are not refundable.
What documents are needed to apply for passport?
Here are the documents you need to apply for a passport in South Africa:
- Your ID book or other proof of identity: This could be your old green ID book, a Smart ID, a driver’s license, or a birth certificate.
- Your birth certificate: This is your original birth certificate, not a copy.
- Two recent passport photos: The photos must meet the Department of Home Affairs’ specifications.
- A completed application form: You can download the application form from the Department of Home Affairs’ website.
- Payment: You can pay the application fee in cash, by credit card, or by debit card.
If you are applying for a passport for a child under the age of 18, you will also need to provide the following documents:
- The child’s birth certificate: This is the child’s original birth certificate, not a copy.
- A letter of consent from the child’s parent or legal guardian: The letter must be signed by the parent or legal guardian and must state that they consent to the child applying for a passport.
If you are applying for a passport for the first time, you will also need to provide your fingerprints. You can have your fingerprints taken at any Home Affairs office.
The application process for a passport in South Africa takes about 7-21 working days. Once your passport is issued, you will be notified by SMS or email.