There are two ways to check if your passport is ready for collection in South Africa:
1. Through the Department of Home Affairs’ online tracking system
- Go to the Department of Home Affairs’ website: https://www.dha.gov.za/.
- Click on the “Track & Trace” tab.
- Enter your ID number and reference number in the fields provided.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
The tracking system will then display the status of your passport application. The status of your application will be one of the following:
- Received: Your application has been received by the Department of Home Affairs.
- In progress: Your application is currently being processed.
- Ready for collection: Your passport is ready for collection.
- Rejected: Your application has been rejected.
2. By SMS
If you provided your cellphone number when you applied for your passport, you will receive an SMS notification when your passport is ready for collection. The SMS will contain the reference number of your application and the office where you can collect your passport.
To check if your passport is ready for collection via SMS, simply SMS the word “ID” followed by your ID number to 32551. You will be charged R1 for each SMS sent.