Who qualifies for Sassa war veterans Grant?

You can apply for a war veteran’s grant if you are a former soldier who served in the Second World War (1939-1945) or the Korean War (1950-1953) and are unable to support yourself.

soldier walking on wooden pathway surrounded with barbwire selective focus photography
Soldier walking

How do you know if you qualify for the war veterans Grant?

You must:

  • be a South African citizen or permanent resident
  • live in South Africa
  • be 60 years of age or older or be disabled
  • have fought in the Second World War or the Korean War
  • not receive any other social grant for yourself  
  • not be cared for in a state institution
  • not earn more than R 86 280 if you are single or R172 560 if married
  • not have assets worth more than R 1 227 600 if you are single or R 2 455 200 if you are married.

Note: If you live in the house that you or your spouse own, the value is not taken into account for the purpose of the means test.

How much will you get?

You will get R 2 000 per month.

How do you apply for the war veterans grant?

  1. Go to the SASSA office nearest to where you live and bring the following:
    • Your 13-digit bar-coded identity document (ID. If you don’t have an ID:
      • You must complete an affidavit on a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official.
      • You must bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (like a councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who can verify your name and age.
      • You must bring proof that you have applied for an at the Department of Home Affairs.
      • A temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs (if applicable)
    • Proof of your war service, e.g. certificate of service.
    • If you are under 60, a medical assessment or report stating that you cannot work.
    • Proof of your marital status. If:
      • you are single, an affidavit stating that you are single
      • you are married, your marriage certificate and your spouse’s identity document
      • you are divorced, your divorce order
      • your spouse is dead, your spouse’s death certificate.
      • If you or your spouse is employed, your pay slips.
      • If you are unemployed, your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) blue book or discharge certificate from your previous employer.
      • If you have a bank account, your bank statements for the last three months.
      • If you have investments, information on the interest and dividends you earn.

Please note: If you are too old or sick to travel to the office to apply, a family member or friend can apply on your behalf. The person should take a letter from you and/or a doctor’s note saying why you cannot visit the office.

  1. Complete the application form in the presence of the SASSA officer (note that only you as the applicant or a SASSA official may complete the application form).
  2. You will be given a receipt. Keep it as proof that you applied.
  3. If you want to enrol for cash payments, the SASSA officer will give you a date when you need to come back and what you need to bring with you.

What if your application is not approved?

  1. If your application is not approved, SASSA will inform you in writing why your application was unsuccessful.
  2. If you disagree with the decision, you can appeal to the Minister of Social Development at the national office of the Department of Social Development. You must appeal within 90 days of being notified that your application was unsuccessful.

Who to contact

South African Social Security Agency (SASSA)

SASSA Toll free: 0800 60 10 11
Email:  (link sends e-mail)GrantEnquiries@sassa.gov.za(link sends e-mail)

for the detailed info see: https://www.gov.za/services/social-benefits-retirement-and-old-age/war-veterans-grant

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *